Monday, February 27, 2012

Many Eyes

This data set from the US Census Bureau reflects employment statistics as well marriage statistics. The data reflects the percentage of individuals who are married based on what working class they fall into: Male/Female employed and Male/Female unemployed. The data is visualized into a heat map with darker brown states indicating a higher percentage of married people for that particular job class. There are certainly many external factors, but I thought it was interesting to see different states and how the 2 things related.

This data set was really neat because it shows internet usage. Within the pie chart you can break it down by various age groups. At the highest level it wasn't surprising to see that emailing, checking news, weather, and social networking were some of the most widely used internet activities. Among smaller usage were things like downloading podcasts or participating in an online auction. The visualization helps recognize trends. For example Females are using social networking sites more than males.

NOTE: For some reason, the Many Eyes site stopped working and publishing my visualizations..even though I could see them. The above link may not work and I had a lot of technical difficulties. This last visualization I had depicted internet usage among various world countries. Not surprisingly, Asia had one of the highest usage rates in the world. The US actually is not a top user. Looking at the population size of each country, it is also interesting to see how that correlates to amount of people using the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment